Centre is calling for entries in prose and poetry in order to short list
a male and female writer in the age bracket of 18-30 years old to
represent the centre in the PEN INTERNATIONAL/NEW VOICES AWARD 2013.
the Nigerian short list process is based on the exact rules of the
international competition as stated below. Contestants should thus note
that the ultimate prize money is accessible only after scaling the
Who can enter?
All candidates must be over 17 & still under the age of 30 at the time of the closing date; Writers who
have published books may not enter, but those who have existing contracts
with publishers for forthcoming books may enter.
Writers who have published pamphlets work in magazines and journals are allowed to enter;
Prose entries must be between 2,000-4,000 words.
Poetry entries may take the form of individual poems, a sequence, or one long poem of no more than 2,500 words in total;
Writers may only submit one prose work;
- a long list of six writers will receive feedback on their entries from distinguished experts;
- Two winning
writers, a male and a female would have their entries sent to PEN
International as Nigeria’s entry that might stand a chance of winning
the ultimate prize money
-The winning entries would be translated into English, French, Spanish and one or two Nigerian Languages
- there will be no entry fee
Deadline: 12 midnight on 15 May 2013
- amendments cannot be made to entries after they have been submitted, nor substitutions made;
- poems to be single-spaced and a line count noted at the top of the first page;
- short stories to be double-spaced and a word count noted at the top of the first page;
- the filename
of online entries must be the title of the entry and it must be either a
.doc, .docx, .rtf, .wps, .pdf or .txt file;
- all entries are judged anonymously: do not include the entrant’s name on the document, only on the application sheet;
To enter send your entry with subject as PEN NEW VOICES 2013 to Secretary General, Nigeria Pen Centre, Ropo Ewenla: firstname.lastname@example.org.