Go To Beijing, China
Eager to transform your passion for writing into a profession?
In the 2013 Travel Writing Scholarship
, your assignment will be to go to the heart of Beijing, and write about it all!
A writer will spend five days under the mentorship of Rough Guides
writer Martin Zatko
to review and update the Beijing chapters of 'The Rough Guide to China.
Then join international travel journalist, Kit Gillet
, to explore the hidden charms of his backyard before heading off on a 3-day Chinese food adventure with
How To Apply?
Submit your best travel essay; and tell the judges why you
should be chosen as the scholarship winner.
Guidelines for travel Essay
Travel essay must be 2500 characters or less (this includes spaces). travel essay must be based on a personal experience around one
of the following themes;
a. 'Catching a Moment'
b. 'Understanding a Culture through Food'
c. 'A Local Encounter that Changed my Perspective'
d. 'Sharing Stories - A Glimpse into Another's Life'
It's up to you to convince our judging panel through your writing
that you have the spirit of adventure and passion for travel writing to
be chosen for this scholarship. We will be looking for:
- great descriptive ability
- strong eye for detail
- ability to uncover and tell a compelling story
- excellent spelling and grammar and a knack for avoiding clichés 2. Complete an entry form
which includes contact details and a maximum 1200 character essay on
why you should be chosen and what the opportunity will mean for you.
Your answer will provide considerable weight in the judging process.
Only one entry per person is permitted
Entry must be submitted in English.
Who can apply?
* This opportunity is open to students, emerging and non-professional
writers and lovers of travel looking for a career change.
* The scholarship is open to all nationalities, however, you must have an exceptionally high degree of proficiency in written English.
* The opportunity is designed to give you a taste of what it's like to be a travel writer on the road, so you must be comfortable doing some travel on your own.
* Minimum age 18
by the date the scholarship application closes (April 19, 2013)
* Must have a current passport with at least six months left before expiry.
* Must be available as per the dates set out. Please note these dates are not changeable in any way,
you must be available for the entire assignment
* You should be an exceptional writer with a lust for adventure travel,
a desire to experience new cultures and above all, a burning desire to
become a professional travel writer!
Deadline for Applications: April
Ready To Apply? Click HERE
or go to TRAVEL WRITING SCHOLARSHIP BEIJING, CHINA